Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Postal Rule

It is an idiosyncratic but nonetheless well established concept in UK contract law that the contract is joined once the letter is posted.

I let the envelope slip into the letterbox this afternoon and the money for the deposit was transferred across the Internet soon after.

The broker (who I like) called me and told me that it had been received.  I was surprised to get his call but I guess from his point of view there is no deal until the money is in place.  The moment he saw those figures on his bank statement he knew it was now a goer. He must deal with a high percentage of dreamers.  I have been a dreamer for nearly 20 years.

Now Spaniel and I are custodians of GB-SUE II.  She is not called GB-SUE II but that's how I think of her.

She's not called Dignity either but isn't she pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment